Monday, April 4, 2011

Loring Kitchen & Bar - Loring Park Minneapolis

Time/Days:  2pm - 6pm/Sunday-Friday
Drink Specials:  $3 Taps, Domestic Bottles, Rails, House Wine, Sangria; $6 Rail Martinis
Food Specials:  $6 Pizzas, $3 Select Apps, $10 Select Apps/Sandwiches

Considering the fact that LKB is less than a 5 minute walk from our apartment, their happy hour tends to be a favorite spot of ours.  However, there are more reasons for our frequent visits than the short walk home of course!

Since we moved to the Twin Cities this past fall I've seen LKB change their Happy Hour menu a few times, but each change has brought improvements rather than price increases.  A few of my favorites that have made it through the transitions have been the Buffalo Chicken Pizza (which I just had for the first time last week), the Fried Calamari with the sweet chili cream, and the Zucchini Fries.  You also can't go wrong with the Loring Buns...their Angus sliders with caramelized onions, bacon, and homemade tomato chutney.  Tara and I have stopped by many times for an early dinner, ordered 2 or 3 items and definitely walked away full.

The drink selection is also impressive and offers something for everyone.  I tend to do beer when I'm at a happy hour so I am usually very satisfied with their tap selection.  The Bell's Two Hearted is a go to for me, but they also have a rotating microbrew on tap...I'm hoping that Bell's Oberon makes its way in for the summer.  My only complaint goes back to the menu change...where I believe they lowered the price for taps from $4 to $3, but removed one of my favorites, Rogue Dead Guy from the Happy Hour menu.  Oh well, I will live!

Kudos:  Wide variety of drinks, really good pizzas for 6 bucks, happy hour served everywhere in the restaurant so there is no problem getting a seat, great in the summer
Criticisms:  Only goes until 6pm, some of the apps such as the Calamari are a bit pricey $10 (but worth it), bring back Dead Guy Ale!

No comments:

Post a Comment